THE FACTS ABOUT SLAVERY, POVERTY & THE FASHION INDUSTRY
The woman pictured above is called a “Rag Picker” in India. A person who collects trash all day with the hope of finding something of value to sell. The average rag picker works 12 hours a day making $1- $2. This is why we do what we do. Offering women like this hope and dignity through jobs that empower.
1. Today there are 50 million people in slavery. An all-time high. (including human trafficking) (source: Global Slavery Index)
2. 8 million in India. More than any other country. (source: Global Slavery Index)
3. The average modern slave is bought for just $90 - against a price tag of $40,000 about 200 years ago (Source: Thomson Reuters Foundation)
4. Over 70% of slaves are female. (source: Global Slavery Index)
5. 36% of ages 13-24 that are trafficked in the US are male. (source: streets.org)
6. Human trafficking is the third-biggest criminal enterprise in the world, after drug trafficking and counterfeiting. (Source: Thomson Reuters Foundation)
7. Human trafficking accounts for more than 32 billion dollars in illegal profits every year, more than Nike, Google, and Starbucks combined. (source: International Labour Office)
8. 700 million people are living at poverty level with an income of $1.90/day or less (source: World Bank).
9. In India alone, there are 300 million people living in poverty. India ranks highest on the list of countries with the most people living at this level. (source: International Labour Office)